Friday, February 15, 2008

Valentine's day...(belated)

I woke up with absolutely no expectations of affection or a spoken I love you from a possible secret admirer. I wanted to treat V-day as any other day. I didn't want to take the bitter approach, or the Single Angry Black Woman route, so i thought it best to pretend the day didn't exist. But of course its not really possible. Once I stepped outside, my neighbors ENORMOUS heart flag was practically slapping me in my face whenever the wind blew. Every store and restaurant was adorned in every shade of Repulsive Red, and Putrid Pink (Crayola should think adding those colors to their 72 Crayon set. Just a thought) Every car I drove by was stuffed full of balloons causing people to drive like idiots speeding home. Little kids holding sweet cards tight to their chests, like it was precious gold. Walking proud because they can say "Mommy I picked it out myself" Good for you Kid. Now move out of the street.
Maybe my refuge could be found at the gym. It should be relatively quiet, leaving me to sweat, lift, lunge, treadmill, and bike in agony in my own privacy. I was right about one thing. It was a quiet day, but do you think I could escape the nauseating decorations? Of course not. Hearts hung from treadmills, and televisions. They even had the nerve to have not one, but TWO baskets of Hershey kisses at the counter. I thought this was the gym? Are they trying to sabatoge all the hard work I just did? If I didn't have any sense I should have stolen the basket and let them follow my trail of foil wrappers to a bathroom stall where I was chocolate covered in a diabetic coma. Some nerve.
Home was my safe haven. My plan was this. Come home from the gym, Have a hot shower, wash my hair, put on some fresh PJ's, pop some corn, maybe indulge in come ice cream and watch my Season 2 Cosby show DVDs ( THANKS TOYA! LOVE YOU SIS). And maybe curl up with a good book. Beside the mass texts that I received all day, it was a a wonderful night. Simply put I was my valentine this year, and it was better than I thought it would be. I wasn't home thinking about why I didn't have someone to share the day with, I was just happy to be a single girl who found comfort on a day made to celebrate couples. After all you gotta love yourself, before you can love anyone else. Right?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Celular, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://telefone-celular-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.